Technical Writer for Telecommunications Project
Position requires knowledge as a technical writer for the telecommunication industry and network architectures, engineering, and deployment support for transport services and integration into existing data networks, strategic industry analysis, billing audits, and new technology assessments. This is a contract position at WMATA (DC Metro).
• Writing technical documents to support telecommunication projects
• Writing technical documents for procurement proposals and contracts
• Evaluating the existing operations support communications system
• Evaluating technological alternatives
• Engineering design and implementation of Offeror communications interfaces
• Recommending a proposed technology platform and architecture
• Tier 3 Customer support
• Specifying and evaluating service provider network options and cost modeling
• Remediate billing discrepancies and back credit obligations of the Carriers with respect to procured services • Track service implementations and delivery options
• Broker vendor meetings to ensure service compliance and requirements adherence
• Interface with Service provider sales channels and product management entities to ensure optimal support and service opportunities
• High level knowledge of multi-Carrier service architectures, product and service pricing, and back-end operation support systems
• Developing project management plan identifying all tasks and resource estimates
• Developing Voice integration fail over test plans and results
• Detailed process flows on data interfaces and application updates
• Developing Risk management plan identifying all barriers to a successful deployment of the system, and recommendations to WMATA on best approaches to mitigate the risks
• Detailed voice engineering design documents including network and data components with interface designs and configurations, an installation cost estimate associated with ongoing management and maintenance of the system
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
Specific technical skills desired for this position include:
• Technical writing skills for telecommunications industry
• Knowledge of designing and implementing IP telephony systems
• Understanding of network infrastructure and protocols (proprietary, IMS and IP), and latest LAN/WAN/VoIP protocols (MPLS, BGP, SIP), as well as latest-generation routers, telecommunications switches, telecommunication services, and other ancillary equipment applicable to the planned voice/data telecommunications environment is preferred
• Written skills including ability to author client communications, expository project documents (e.g., Statements of Work) and strategic analyses
• Public speaking and presentation skills
• Strong client skills with the demonstrated ability to communicate effectively throughout all levels of an organization
• Experience developing and providing training and customer support for VoIP system implementations
• Project management experience in a client service environment
• Proficiency in formal project management methods, including internal documentation and external communications
• Demonstrated ability to accurately project timing and associated costs across a range of project types, scale, and complexity
• Knowledge in BICSI rules, regulations, and standards.
• Knowledge of NEC, IEEE, EIA, TIA, industry standards and other applicable codes related to the design and layout of IT, low voltage and telecommunications systems.
• Knowledge of Structured Cabling Systems from an installation and basic design perspective.
• Knowledge in the use of AutoCAD and Revit
• Collect business and systems requirements to create specifications.
• Knowledge and ability to develop Division 27 master specifications.
• Possess a technical background with knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and should also have a demonstrated ability to create drawings, scopes of work and other necessary technical documentation.
Technical writing skills in designing, developing, and implementing, communication networks for public transit industry applications.
• Minimum 5 years of technical writing skills for voice/data network engineering, business, and architecture
• Minimum 2 years of project management experience
• Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Information Systems, or Computer Science (preferred)
• Demonstrated ability to perform technical writing skills
• Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD) certification (preferred)
• Experience in developing layout and design for technology systems including voice, data, and structured cabling.