POSITION: Team Lead for Volatile Organic Compounds Program at WIPP
JOB TYPE: Full Time
LOCATION: Carlsbad, NM
Summary of Position
As leaders in project excellence, LATA has over four decades of proven success in global and domestic markets as a small business specializing in federal government contracting. The Team Lead for Volatile Organic Compounds Program at WIPP:
• Manage sampling, including schedule, pre-jobs and post-job briefings, sample control and tracking, sample delivery, receipt and processing of clean canisters and sampling equipment, and compliance with Permit, standard operating procedures (SOPs), Job Hazard Analysis (JHAs), and quality assurance requirements.
• Sampling in an underground mine and surface sampling in remote locations required.
• The candidate will need to also be qualified to sample in addition to the technicians.
• Coordinate and install sample tubing in an underground mine.
• Procurement of supplies and equipment and coordinate with Cognizant Engineer on VOC systems.
• Maintain and track calibration of measuring and test equipment.
• Manage VOC Program – includes records, training, SOPs, JHAs, and management assessments.
• Write reports for the Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Monitoring Program.
• Participate in Quality Assurance (QA) Audits affecting VOCs, as well as other groups including metrology.
• Manage software as software quality assurance custodian.
• Perform data verification and validation, conduct data verification and validation of laboratory data packages, database management, Annual Site Environmental Report (ASER) preparation and review, Semi-annual VOC data summary report preparation and review coordination.
• Perform Underground (UG) management and communication (sampling coordination, work packages, sample tubing installation, interface with Underground Operations, Radiation Control and Cognizant Engineer).
• Maintain all qualifications with refresher training.
• Communicate with laboratory regarding results of samples, audits, performance testing, implementation of changes, and SOPs.
• Manage the contract for the VOC testing laboratory.
• Manage VOC Record Management in accordance with Records Inventory and Disposition Schedule (RIDS).
• Manage VOC Audit, participation, corrective actions, and closure of findings.
• Provide support for laboratory performance audits.
• Assist with VOC technical support.
• Manage Los Alamos Technical Associates (LATA) personnel associated with the VOC program.
• Coordinate sampling and schedule with Environmental Support Group.
• Provide Permit public hearing testimony and support as needed and implement Program changes.
• Communicating with stakeholders regarding the VOC Program.
Basic Job Requirements
• At a minimum, a B.S. in a science field is required, M.S. a plus.
• 5-10 years’ experience with environmental air monitoring and sampling as a senior lead position. Other environmental experiences will be considered.
• Must be a fast learner.
• Must be able to carry 50 pounds.
• In this position the selected candidate will be the team lead. The team consists of project scientists and several sampling technicians.